Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sundown Marathon 2014

Have participated all the Sundown Marathon from 2008 to 2012, missed last year's.

Took my dinner at 8:00 pm.

My daughter helped me to tape my left calf with Acti-Tape.

Took a train down to City Hall. Reached the venue at 10:30 pm.

Checked in my baggage.

Have a mixed feeling and felt good to participate the full marathon again after a long 1.5 years break.

The Sundown Marathon race was flagged off at 11:30 pm.

Initially run with cautious since contracted food poisoning last Sunday, through out many years of running experience and know unpredictable thing may pop up for such a long distance. Have a very good run and control my pace until the 22 km u-turn and keep up my pace slightly.

Suddenly started to rain heavily around 22 km mark and luckily the rain stop around 25 km.

After 30+ km, felt nipples a bit warm due to rubbing and realized forgot to tape it.

Endured my right toe's pain after about 15 km. My New Balance 890v4 Boston edition just broke for about 32 km run started to give me problem at 35 km. My left leg big toe constantly hit the shoe wall and the pain was almost unbearable. My legs started to cramp around 33 km and have to walk a jog the Shears bridge from 34 to 36 km. After thought the constant left big toe's pain and reduce the damage, decided to run without the left sock to make more room to the leg and felt better.

My legs cramps were more severe around 3 kms to go so have to alternate walk and jog.

Through out the run, took my own two energy gels and on site provided two energy gels, one Zero electrolyte tablet consumed approximately every 10 km and three (half piece) banana.

Finally felt the relieve once crossing the finishing line.

Took one piece of banana and one can of 100 plus isotonic drink.

Managed to achieved my full marathon in 4 hour 48 minutes for 42.195 km run and quite happy with the timing with both legs blister, left big toe got black toe nail and the on set of leg cramps.

The retrieving of my bag took 10 minutes due to problem to locate.

Unfortunately the 4:30 am bus tickets were all sold out so decided to take the earliest train home.

They should provide extra shuttle bus at 5:00 am in addition of 3:30 am and 4:30 am.

So walked to Marina Square to clean myself and changed to dry cloths.

Walked to City Hall and took 3/4 piece of banana at 5:30 am.

Took a North bound train at 6:30 am (the earliest).

Reached home around 7:45 am.

Lesson learnt:

Must wear half size bigger shoes to have bigger toes room. Must wear anti-blister very thin socks then I may  buy the exact size shoes.

No comments: